There are several reasons why dark circles are below the eyes and puffy eyes occur and this includes allergies, facial features that are inherited such as skin texture, stress and eye fatigue.
Although puffy eyes can be reduced by using homemade remedies such as anti-hemorrhoid creams like Preparation H and soothing cucumber slices have been proven to relieve puffy eyes.
Causes of dark circles under the eyes
Excessive accumulation of fluids can cause ordinary swelling around the eyes and this is called edema in surrounding tissues. Discoloration and swelling can be quite noticeable on the skin around the eyes.
The following factors cause puffy eyes
- Allergies that can cause swelling and inflammation
- Lack of sleep and Fatigue
- Inherited facial features
- Too much consumption of salt, which induces fluid retention
- Sinus problems
Puffy eyes are mainly caused because the trait runs in the family. During aging, the fat tissues that protect the eyes in the bony eye sockets start to push forward and fill the spaces below the eyes. This occurs since aging causes the thinning of the “septum” or membrane that holds back the fat in both the lower and upper eyelids. When this membrane becomes thin, the will herniate and push forward and results into bulges under the eyes.
Why are puffy eyes more visible after waking up in the morning?
We don’t blink our eyes while sleeping and this is the major reason why our eyes become puffy. Lack of sleep or stress can also cause dark circles under the eyes.
When should I get worried about my puffy eyes becoming a Medical complication?
This should be when they occur unexpectedly. Sometimes, a swollen eye is an indication of an underlying medical complication. For instance, people who have thyroid eye diseases can also develop swelling of muscles and tissues around the eyes. In Grave’s disease, a bulging eye is an indication of the disease.
Swollen eyes can also be caused by eye allergies. Some other types of allergies include reactions to foods and chemicals.
Dark circles under the eyes and puffy eyes can also be caused by eye infections such as pink eye which are caused by inflammation which is associated with an eye infection.
What are the solutions to puffy eyes and dark circles?
Before finding solutions for dark circles and puffy eyes, it is important to identify the major causes.
- Your puffy eyes are inherited if it occurs in the same way as that of your mum’s or dads. you can use cosmetic options to help reduce this type of puffiness.
If the puffiness is caused by aging, cosmetic options can still work as possible solutions. The cosmetic options include laser skin, chemical peels, and certain cosmeceuticals.
Some temporary remedies include;
- Applying compressed ice, tea bags, or cucumbers over eyes
- Drink lots of fluids
- Eating foods rich in potassium, such as bananas, to remove excess fluids in your body
- Getting plenty of sleep and rest
- Reducing salt in your diet
- Splashing cold water on your face and eyes
- Making use of creams and some other products specially manufactured for use around the eyes
- Use of eye drops for discomforts resulting from allergies, if appropriate
Consider making the blood vessels smaller if the dark circles are caused by a visible network of blood vessels.
Bear in mind that there are risks involved with the use of hemorrhoid creams for this purpose. These products are known to cause chemical conjunctivitis which is an inflammatory response.